Title: Urban Roots Summer Teacher
Time Commitment: Seasonal Temporary Part-time 35 hours per week M-F
Department: Programs and Interpretation
Reports to: Urban Roots Coordinator
Position Start Date: June 19, 2017
Position End Date: Aug 16, 2017
The Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance (GPCA) is a community oriented non-profit organization involved in a unique partnership with the Chicago Park District and its historic plant conservatory. The Department of Programs and Interpretation supports the mission of the Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance by connecting people to nature, and is dedicated to developing, implementing, and facilitating a heightened interest and deeper understanding of the plant world, both inside and beyond the Conservatory’s glass walls. We believe this plant excitement fosters a deeper respect for family, community, environmental awareness, and stewardship of the planet, and encourages life-long learners.
The Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance hosts a summer internship for our teen docent program. The Urban Roots Teen Docent Program is comprised of 12-24 teens who participate in a 2 year program cycle, which includes an intensive hands-on training in growing and interpretation. The approach to the curriculum is hands-on, exploration and discovery based, and supplemented by classroom style learning experiences. Teens will participate in field trips regularly, including one field trip that extends beyond normal program hours.
The Summer Teacher will help facilitate the teen docent summer internship portion of the urban Roots program at the Garfield Park Conservatory. The Summer Teacher will engage in meaningful interactions with teens, serve as informal mentor, prepare and assemble materials for instructional delivery, deliver instruction as needed, supervise teens during daily structured activities and on field trips, interpret the plant collection to teens, and will lead educational small group activities. The Summer Teacher will average seven hours of administrative work per week. Must be available 35 hours per week, Monday thru Friday.
1. Summer Teacher will co-facilitate teen docent program and deliver creative and engaging curriculum to ten 15-16 year old interns, includes teaching specified lessons.
2. Summer Teacher will provide hands-on direct supervision for 15-20 teens during daily activities on-site and field trips off-site. Daily activities include Science Technology Engineering and Math curriculum, hands-on service projects, outdoor gardening, interpreting the collection, arts and crafts projects, and creating experiences for younger guests. Must be comfortable working independently with up to 15 teens.
3. Summer Teacher will serve as a mentor to students while maintaining professional boundaries.
4. Summer Teacher may help develop evaluation materials and conduct formal and informal interviews to help evaluate teen experiences. Summer Teacher will use and develop rubrics to evaluate teen performance.
5. Summer Teacher will perform administrative duties as needed to maintain participant files and ensure program files are complete. Summer Teacher will be responsible for managing participant data attained from outside sources.
6. Summer Teacher will work with department staff in the preparation, facilitation and clean-up of special event-based activities as needed.
Applicant should have an interest in museum-based/ informal community-based programming and mentoring inner-city youth. Applicant should possess background knowledge or an interest in gardening, interpretation, or informal public speaking. Applicants having experience in Elementary or Middle School Education, Science Education, or Fine Arts Education, after school programs, or summer camps a plus. Spanish or other foreign language abilities a plus. Must feel comfortable and enjoy interacting with teen participants, parents, teachers, and volunteers. Must be at least 21 years of age and willing to submit to a background check. To apply send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 28, 2017. Indicate the position that you are applying for in the subject line.