Title: Greenhouse Coordinator
Department: Programs and Interpretation
Reports to: Sustainability and Adult Program Manager
The Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance (GPCA) is a community oriented non-profit organization involved in a unique partnership with the Chicago Park District and its historic plant conservatory. GPCA is very unique and creative organization. The Department of Programs and Interpretation supports the mission of the Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance by connecting people to plants and is dedicated to developing, implementing, and facilitating a heightened interest and deeper understanding of the plant world, both inside and beyond the Conservatory’s glass walls.
Greenhouse Coordinator is a part time position averaging 25-32 hours per week. First and foremost, the Alliance’s Greenhouse is an educational space for experiential adult learning through our plant propagation volunteer program. The Greenhouse Coordinator has a unique role of educator, plant caretaker, and identifying revenue streams through plant sales and value-added products for the Gift Shop. This position actively leads the Plant Propagation volunteer program, creates and prioritizes plant production and plant care objectives, and works closely with the Sustainability and Adult Programs Manager to execute the Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance’s objectives.
• This position is up to 30 hours per week, Tuesday through Saturday
• Volunteer shifts held Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings from 10am-1pm
1. Prepares and runs tri-weekly Plant Propagation volunteer shifts, with focus on experiential education for adult volunteers.
2. Facilitates and is responsible for upkeep, maintenance, production schedules, pest management, temperature control, and watering of GPCA Greenhouse:
• Coordinates delivery of plant material and cuttings from Park District staff
• Maintains, organizes, and purchases Greenhouse tools and supplies
3. Assists Volunteer Program Coordinator to recruit, schedule, and manage Plant Propagation Program volunteers.
4. Coordinates planting, maintenance, and harvesting of seasonal GPCA Market Garden:
• Processes, records, and delivers harvest for donation.
• Maintains and purchases all garden tools and supplies.
5. Organizes all materials and logistics for both small and large scale Plant Sale events.
6. Coordinates regular stock of plants in Gift Shop and monitors care of stock.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Applicant should be at least 21 years of age with a gardening or horticulture background. Must be an enthusiastic and charismatic representative of our organization, work well under pressure, be extremely creative, an independent and motivated worker, and excel in team settings. Must be able to meet the diverse needs of our organization and be flexible. Applicant should also enjoy working with volunteers, teaching adult learners, working outdoors in a garden, and with plants in a greenhouse. Applicant should be very organized and able to handle a variety of assignments at one time. Access to a car is necessary. Occasional heavy lifting required, must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
Applications will be accepted through October 1st. Please submit cover letter, resume, and references in PDF format by e-mail to HR@garfieldpark.org; or mail to: Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance 300 N Central Park Ave, Chicago, IL 60624; NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer